Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Welcome to the Church, Baby Kate!

What a big weekend it was for little Katherine Rose!

We welcomed visitors from Abilene, Austin, DFW, Corpus Christi and even Iowa to celebrate her first sacrament on July 30, 2011.  It was such a  fun, blessed time and we are so thankful to God not only for our beautiful baby girl, but for the opportunity to welcome her into the family of Christ surrounded by so much love!


Getting ready at home before the big day
Kate's godmother, Laura's Aunt Carol, dresses her at the church in the baptismal garments worn by many, many family members on both sides
Bishop Mulvey, Laura's uncle, baptizes Kate

Praying over the parents and godparents
Austin's brother, Kate's Uncle Chris, is the proud godfather!

All the family gathers while the friends stand around and watch.
(We should have gotten a picture of everyone together!)
Kate with her parents and grandparents


I made a special cake for the big day.  It's kind of symbolic of Kate's name.
The eyelet lace is a nod to my grandma, Catherine, with a rose in the middle. 
I'll admit, I got very emotional at the beginning of the ceremony.  Uncle Mike asked, "What name do you give this child?" and I lost it.  Apparently that made other key people choke up too.  Oops!  It was just such an overwhelming moment of coming face-to-face with God, presenting him with this daughter with whom he generously blessed us.  I guess I was so busy planning the logistics of the baptism and the weekend festivities that I didn't really stop and think about what a deep spiritual experience it would be, so I was somehow caught off guard.  Happy doesn't really do it, but that's the word that keeps coming to mind to describe it.

Thank you to everyone who came and everyone who came in spirit!

No comments: