Monday, February 21, 2011

Can I get an "oooh aaah?"

Confession: I'm tired of looking at maternity pictures and ultrasounds on Facebook.  Many, many of my friends are pregnant or just had babies, and many of them are on baby #2.  Babies are so wonderful and precious!  But that doesn't mean feelings of jealousy aren't present.

As I looked at yet another gorgeous maternity photo shoot (I'm an amateur portrait photographer, so I do love looking through sessions) I started to feel kinda a little bit maybe irritated.  Hey, I'm human.

I'm an expectant mom too, but nobody's telling me I look "positively radiant."  Nobody's requesting photos of my "bump" or asking me how I feel. 

Can't I get an "oooh aaah?"

But that's so ridiculously selfish.  Right away I started to think about our birth mother and the birth mothers of my friends who are also waiting to be placed.  Is anyone telling them they look radiant?  Is anyone asking them how they feel and what their hopes and dreams are for their babies?  Is anyone taking their pictures and offering them happy words of encouragement?

We do have people who are excited about the birth of our baby.  Sending greeting cards. Asking questions.  Talking about baby names.  Does she?

Girl, if you're reading this, I bet you look so cute.  I bet you're getting a kick out of feeling those kicks and watching as that little person you're in love with grows before your eyes.  I hope you're taking pictures of yourself and feeling happy and proud!

Can we get this girl an "oooh aaah?"

Matt 7:12

2 comments:

Tara said...

*Tears* Yes, I am crying as I read this.. Thanks Laura and thanks to ALL of the expectant Moms (Birth And Adoptive)

Maria said...

An "oooohhhh AAAhhhh!" for YOU Laura! For being brave and strong and walking this journey with openness and honesty. To your baby's birth mother, I REALLY do hope she is HAPPY and PROUD, and I hope she read this post, because I too, I am PROUD of you BOTH!