Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Perspective

Texas did not escape the February "Snowmageddon" that swept though the nation. [Insert dramatic music]

We got about six inches of snow early Tuesday morning and it's not expected to melt until Friday.  I'm sure people in more snow-prone areas would say that's no big deal, but we don't have snow plows here or any significant experience in driving on ice.  Skerry. 

Here's the snow angel I attempted on Tuesday.  I started to regret it about three sweeps in.  Snow was everywhere.  And then Bossier pounced across my body, kicking snow into my face.  I wonder if the neighbors heard me scream?

I'd love to build a snowman, but it's not really sticky enough.  And frankly, the snow just doesn't seem as charming as it would had I wandered out mid-morning in my robe with hot chocolate to admire the peaceful scene that had quietly fallen upon my garden.  Instead, I'm shaking my fist at the stuff!

Before you continue reading, watch this video. I absolutely love it!


View more news videos at: http://www.nbcdfw.com/video.

Basically, we are part of the Disney-esque magic that goes into letting kids know they don't have to go to school that day.  (This video comes from the station I worked at in DFW for a few years.)

While most people get to sit in their warm PJs and wait for their school closing announcement, Austin and I are among the  ones who drive into work at 4am and take the calls from the schools and rush to get them online and on TV.  Then, it's on to driving alerts and power outages and forecasts and all that fun stuff.  It turns into 13-hour days for me and 18-hour days for AK.  It would be fair to call my me tired, and grumpy would be an understatement.

But now as I watch CNN's coverage of the clashes in Cairo it makes me pause and put things into perspective.  God has blessed us so richly.  I'm not going to get into any deep comparisons here, I'm just feeling extremely grateful right now for my job.  We have complete freedom to put out whatever information we want to put out on whatever platform we choose.  It's the business I wanted to work in since high school and I have parents who sent me to college so I could pursue that.  I have a warm home, a car and a garage which keeps my car clear so I can get to said job... I could go on and on, but I'll stop there.

So as I find myself complaining over the next few days, I'm going to continue recognizing and expressing my gratitude for all the graces in my life!


2 comments:

Dave and Shannon said...

That is such a cute promo. I love it. Brings back so many memories of what snow days *used* to be like! Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

I know! I think I've watched it five times since yesterday. It's awesome!