Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Meet Austin, AKA 'AK'

Austin is loyal, giving, driven, and – as much as I hate to admit it sometimes – really, really funny.

I met him in college at UNT and was immediately impressed by how talented he was when it came to the ins and outs of making television work. He took me under his wing, and we eventually found ourselves alone at IHOP and as they say... the rest is history

Every time I watch him interact with our friends' kids, his employees, his brother (and best friend), my parents, etc., it makes me more and more proud to be his wife. He treats everyone with so much respect and is probably the least judgmental person I know.

His hobby and his job are one and the same. AK wakes up every morning and can't wait to get to work running a newsroom. Lucky for me, he stays home and does about an hour of it here before going in. I really admire that about him. How many people can truly say they love what they do?

What kind of dad do I think he'll be? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out. I imagine he'll be gentle but firm when it comes to the big stuff, but a total pushover when it comes to the small stuff. He'll be great at explaining how things work and why things are the way they are and why our rules are important. Most of all, he knows that a father's presence, true undivided attention, makes all the difference in the world.

AK loved playing in adult softball leagues in the past, but our volunteer schedule has conflicted with games in the last few years. He also used to be a girls' softball umpire and played baseball all throughout his childhood, so I see him being coaching a little tee-ball team. But who knows, our kids might be like their mom and run far away from organized sports. Okay, more like wander aimlessly picking flowers along the way.

Do I have to mention the wrestling thing? Fine. Austin loves to watch pro wrestling.  And I love to coincidentally be really busy in other rooms of the house every Monday night. He used to work for a local wrestling company, staging shows, producing it for television, writing it (gasp! it's scripted!) and, on more than just one occasion, playing the heel in the ring. We actually have an action figure of one of his buddies who made it to the WWE on the shelf in our home office.

On that note...





No comments: