Sunday, January 30, 2011

Man of the House

I’d like to think I don’t fit the stereotype of a husband. While I do occasionally enjoy a cold beverage, plop down on the couch, and watch a football game, I also do housework – and fairly often!

In some ways, this post is a shout out to my dear old mother. (she’d get mad at me for the old part. Mom, it’s okay – you’ll appreciate the rest.)

Growing up, I hated to do work around the house. My mom would probably recall better than I would, but I can’t remember doing much of it. I would complete a task when I was told but that was the extent of it. In high school, I suppose I could’ve been called the typical teen slob.

When college came around and I had my own place, things started to change. It took a few months for me to realize that messes didn’t clean themselves up. I can remember being horribly embarrassed when some girls stopped by my dorm room one afternoon and you couldn’t see the floor. It was then and there that I realized girls like things to be clean – and therefore, so did I.

From that point on, I suppose you could call me a “neat freak” – at least for a male.

On a regular basis, I do the laundry (occasionally trying to separate colors from whites), run the dishwasher (usually twice because I forgot to pre-scrub the plates), take out the trash (thank goodness we have rolling garbage bins in Abilene – I don’t have to put everything in a trash bag!), and sweep the floors (or vacuum them…it works just as well!).

Here’s some visual proof:


Seriously though, I’m pretty proud of the fact that I’m man enough to do some housework (and yes, I’ll take a pat on the back). Laura works hard enough already – I’m glad we can be a house work tag team!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Austin, you are right. You should have been given more chores to do when you were growing up!!

Signed,
Your old mom

Maria L Daou said...

LMAO! this is hilarious. I love the half made bed!