Friday, March 18, 2011

Happiest Baby (and Mommy) on the Block

My friend Michelle loaned me a stack of baby parenting books over the weekend... and bookmarked them with formula coupons, thankyouverymuch :)

The only book I've picked up so far is Happiest Baby on the Block.  It's about techniques to calm colicky babies – but as an future adoptive mother, it's so much more than that!

The theory behind colic is that babies are born three months too soon, so you need to recreate the womb conditions for them during the first three months of life in order to help them kick in the self-soothing reflex that was second nature to them in utero.  The author calls the first three months of a baby's life "the fourth trimester."  I can't tell you how much peace and excitement this gives me!  I think you'd have to read the book, and read it from an adoption perspective, to understand what I mean.

The fact that someone else is carrying and caring for and loving and suffering with our baby during pregnancy is amazing and bewildering and heartbreaking and heartwarming all at the same time.  I'll never have the right words to describe it.  But the screaming, the lack of sleep, the constant feeding, the diapers... they're all kind of an extension of pregnancy for the first few months, and I (we) can take part in that!

No comments: