Sunday, March 13, 2011

Operation Self Discipline

I figure with a baby eventually on the way, it’s time to rediscover self discipline...

Some of you who know me might think I’m a pretty disciplined and organized guy. However, I’ve slacked a little over the last couple years compared to where I’ve been at points in my life before.

An example: working out and eating right.

Though it may not be very high on the ”big picture” priority list, it’s important to me. If you’re disciplined in those areas, you tend to be disciplined in others as well.

I’ve had periods in my life where I’ve eaten very little other than grilled chicken for months on end. I’ve also gone through a year or two here and there where I’ve been in the gym 4-5 days a week. While that’s good and dandy, it doesn’t do much good when you don’t keep up the consistency. I’m not saying I’m going to give up pizza or spend three hours a day at the gym (or even an hour; let’s be honest). However, I’d like to find a happy medium and stick to a plan.
Over the last few months, I’ve hit the gym 1-2 times a week and hovered about 10 pounds higher than I’d like to be. Not horrible…but far from good either.

As I’ve done a few dozen times in my life, it’s time to recommit to hitting the gym, eating right, and being a more focused person. This weekend, I stocked up on protein powder and protein bars. The last time I bought powder, it was the expensive stuff – and sat around way too long. This time around, I bought the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart. If I stick to it, I’ll treat myself to the good stuff.

I’m confident I can stick with the program for awhile. The big question: will all that change when the stork stops by? TBD

2 comments:

Laura said...

No, you'll stick to it because your beautiful wife will be home to make you delicious servings of turkey chili and grilled vegetables. :)

Austin Kellerman said...

Where's the like button?